In Search of the Lonesome Yodel (PDF)
Richmond
2012-07-09 14:30:12 UTC
So, Apache Open Office (as it is now called - Oracle having fobbed it
off) does a reasonably good job of importing a PDF where each separate
entity remains a separate entity (hope you are following me
there), although it screws up quite markedly if it contains embedded
pictures:

http://www.openoffice.org/

LibreOffice seems unable to do this, and I don't know anything at all
about Microsoft Office.

However, it will (or, can) only save the result in bl**dy awkward
formats such as .ODG
that, when imported into Livecode (as text) gives us a textField
calculated to give anyone
an even bigger headache than importing a PDF file directly (as text)
into Livecode.

GIMP can import PDF documents as non-editable images that one can export
into yer bog-standard JPG, PNG and SO-ON formats; but that is not really
much cop for anything.

This:

http://pdf.my-addr.com/free-online-pdf-to-eps-convert.php

will convert PDF files into EPS files, online; but for some funny reason
( Jacques???? ) the
EPS import function in Metacard IDE version 4.1. engine 4.5.0-dp-4 build
1030 crashed when
I attempted to import the resultant EPS into a stack.

Linux people can also have "fun" with their Terminal Emulators with this:

convert ~/file.pdf ~/file.eps where 'file.pdf' is the name of your PDF
you wish to convert

one can also have a reasonable amount of "fun" by installing 'ps2eps'
and having a high old time
with the Terminal Emulator again:

step one: convert PDF to Postscript:

pdf2ps [file].pdf

step two: convert Postscript to EPS:

ps2eps [newfile].ps

one can also b*gg*r around with "pdftops" like this:

pdftops -eps [file].pdf

one can also go "Ha,Ha, Doolally, Bonk" all the way down the main street
with a rubbish bag on one's head.

I have tried aal but the last, so far!

Richmond Mathewson.

P.S. The "Lonesome Yodel" reference; something from my lost youth; check
the guy out:

http://www.hankwangford.co.uk/hanks_page.html
Alejandro Tejada
2012-07-09 19:26:14 UTC
Hi Richmond,

When you have to import documents with
editable text and nice formatting, just use:
http://curryk.com/wordlib.html

When you have to import vector graphics with
transparency, just convert them to SVG using
Inkscape and use:
http://revonline2.runrev.com/stack/112/SVGL

When you have to import Adobe Ilustrator files
as those found in really old Compact Disk Clipart
collections use:
http://andregarzia.on-rev.com/alejandro/stacks/Eps_Import_V05B.zip

Probably there are more options, but these are the stacks
about I am aware until now. Please add more options if
you know about them.

Al

Richmond
2012-07-09 19:30:58 UTC
Post by Alejandro Tejada
Hi Richmond,
When you have to import documents with
http://curryk.com/wordlib.html
When you have to import vector graphics with
transparency, just convert them to SVG using
http://revonline2.runrev.com/stack/112/SVGL
When you have to import Adobe Ilustrator files
as those found in really old Compact Disk Clipart
http://andregarzia.on-rev.com/alejandro/stacks/Eps_Import_V05B.zip
Probably there are more options, but these are the stacks
about I am aware until now. Please add more options if
you know about them.
Those are great.

BUT my "Lonesome Yodel" is an attempt to try to import the data from a
PDF document into Livecode
in some more meaningful and manageable way than the "gobbledegook" that
results if you import a PDF file as a text document.

So, I tried via exporting a PDF file to EPS, and then . . . .

I am aware that 'somebody' could write a PDF parser that would convert
that imported text back into something resembling the PDF where it
originated; however I, for one, am a lazy trout and would try
my best to avoid that.
Post by Alejandro Tejada
Al
Alejandro Tejada
2012-07-09 20:07:59 UTC
Hi Richmond,
[snip]
So, I tried via exporting a PDF file to EPS, and then . . . .
I am aware that 'somebody' could write a PDF parser that would convert
that imported text back into something resembling the PDF where it
originated; however I, for one, am a lazy trout and would try
my best to avoid that.
Import the pdf to openoffice and use
wordLib to bring the file to LiveCode.

Al

Richmond
2012-07-10 06:27:41 UTC
Post by Alejandro Tejada
Hi Richmond,
[snip]
So, I tried via exporting a PDF file to EPS, and then . . . .
I am aware that 'somebody' could write a PDF parser that would convert
that imported text back into something resembling the PDF where it
originated; however I, for one, am a lazy trout and would try
my best to avoid that.
Import the pdf to openoffice and use
wordLib to bring the file to LiveCode.
The problem is that, having opened a PDF in Apache Open Office, one can only
save the result in .odg, .otg, .sxd, and .std formats
(dunno why, but that last format makes me feel a bit odd):

"Sorry, only MS Word (.docx, .xml, .doc) and Open Office (.odt)
documents can be imported."
Post by Alejandro Tejada
Al
Richmond
2012-07-10 06:44:49 UTC
Just had a go with this:

http://www.fileguru.com/Boxoft-PDF-To-DOC-Converter/download

[runs fine under WINE 1.5.8]

which does a messier convert of a PDF document (all the boxes and so
forth get lost),
but one can save the output in .doc format.

Still a half-cock job though.

Richmond.
Rick Harrison
2012-07-10 14:27:08 UTC
Dear iOS Livecoders:

I've put together a little stack to demonstrate the problem I have
with scrolling more than one field on a card for iOS.

(I just want to scroll, I don't want other iOS functionality here.)

Here's the link to it in my Dropbox account which will download
the file for you to review.

http://db.tt/UUzVQuOU

If you could please review this stack and explain to me why it
doesn't work correctly that would be very helpful to me.

You will notice that the field on the left works just fine.
While the field on the right will present a scroll bar in the
iOS Simulator but will not scroll the field!

Thanks for taking a look at this.

Rick
BNig
2012-07-10 15:37:39 UTC
Hi Rick,

you have 2 groups named "grpScrollingField2" in your stack. I just deleted
the larger one of the two, the one that does not have any content and both
fields scrolled.

BTW the code looked kind of familiar. :) Was a long time ago.

Kind regards
Bernd

Bob Sneidar

Rick Harrison
2012-07-10 15:51:06 UTC
Hi Guys,

Thanks, I was going nuts looking at code
and here it was an extra stupid group
giving me all of the problem! Yuck!

I figured if I couldn't get the example code
to work, there had to be something
radically wrong!

Thanks again,

Rick