In standalone, closing a modal closes everything
Mark Powell
2007-01-30 11:46:00 UTC
Here is a distillation of my problem.
Richard Gaskin
2007-01-30 13:55:23 UTC
Post by Mark Powell
Here is a distillation of my problem.
Mark Powell
2007-01-30 18:45:58 UTC
It ends with that -- what comes before it?
--in main stack, button script is...

on mouseUp
openLicenseDialog
end mouseUp

--in main stack, stack script is...

on openLicenseDialog
modal stack "License"
end openLicenseDialog

--in stack "License", button script is...

on mouseUp
RequestDone
end mouseUp

--in stack "License", stack script is...
on RequestDone
<simple variable checks here>
close this stack
end RequestDone

BTW, Devin, I have tried saying specifically

close stack "License"

but the result is the same.

I should clarify one thing. In development it works as expected. In
the standalone model, I am using the altSplash methodology, so the
splash screen is technically the executable, while the main stack
referenced above is an un-compiled stack.

Also, I know there has been a bug in one version of Rev or another of
focus switching out of Rev into another application. I experience that
with 2.7.2. I can hack together a small sample of what I am talking
about later today, but any idea beforehand are greatly appreciated.

Chipp Walters
2007-01-30 19:11:00 UTC
I imagine the closeStack message is being sent to your mainStack (not the
altSplash stack). If you don't change the originating call, then handle it
in the card or stack script of the mainStack.
Mark Powell
2007-01-31 12:16:50 UTC
Well, I guess it is fixed. I had had no closeStack handler in the
substack, but when I place

on closeStack

end closeStack

into the stack script of the substack, the resulting executable works.
Apparently, a call within the substack button to 'close this stack' or
'close stack "License"' sends a closeStack message up the hierarchy? I
did not realize this...I thought the button script had to specifically
say 'closeStack' to yield that result.

So 'close this stack' in the button apparently reaches the following in
the stack script of the main stack

on closeStack
if the environment is not "development" then quit
end closeStack

which I guess explains why I was not having a problem in the development
environment.

Thanks everybody for bearing with me.

Mark

2007-01-31 12:27:47 UTC
Mark, the closeStack message is sent by the engine when a stack is
closed (a sort of notification that the user has closed a stack), and
like other messages, will pass up the message path unless trapped.

so if you wanted to use it to make sure the standalone actually quits
when the mainstack is closed, rather than any stack, you could do this:

in the mainstack script:
on closeStack
if the environment is not "development" AND the target is me then
quit
end close stack

See also : shutdown, shutdownRequest, closeStackRequest

best,

Mark
end closeStack
Mark Powell
2007-01-31 13:08:38 UTC
Aaargh. I solved the one problem (trapping the closeStack handler) so
that the rev application does not quit improperly.

However, now a new one has come up. The closing of the modal *SUSPENDS*
the application (throws the focus onto Outlook, Photoshop, or some other
application)! The rev application is still in the taskbar, it just is
not active anymore. This, I believe, is the bug in 2.7.2 that Chipp
raised a few weeks back. Am I right? Anyone know if that little bug
has been fixed? Or am I again showing my ignorance as to how message
passing is supposed to work?

Thanks very much.

Mark
Chipp Walters
2007-02-01 16:16:52 UTC
Yeah Mark, that's the bug. I believe Trevor's well documented it and I
believe I've heard it's fixed in a newer version, when it gets released.
has been fixed?
Mark Powell
2007-02-02 16:51:10 UTC
Hi Chipp/Trevor

By chance, have you implemented something to work around this bug? Wait
for fix? Subject users as is? If testing for engine version, then
what? I am at an impasse. Nothing seems quite workable to me.

Mark

Devin Asay
2007-01-30 16:57:25 UTC
Mark,